1. Questions: WHEN, is it a WHEN word?
2. Soundboard: Table of
Does it Answer
3. Soundboard: Lunch
is at 12:15., Lots of words and phrases answer WHEN questions. They all tell us about time., Throughout history, people have used a variety of timepieces to measure seconds, minutes, and hours in a day. So the numbers on a clock can answer a WHEN question., Minutes & Hours, When is
it lunchtime?, More
4. Video: Video
TickTock: Seconds, Minutes,
Hours, and Days, (1 min.)
5. Questions: Find the Key Words, 1. School starts at 7 AM., 2. At 4:30 I must meet my brother., 3. You must turn in your test by one thirty., 4. I have a 6:00 train to catch.
6. Soundboard: Menu, Next
7. Soundboard: On a clock, 24 hours make up a day. That's because it takes about 24 hours for the sun and the moon to go up and down one time., Don't be confused by clocks that only show 12 hours. The hour hand goes around the clock two times in one day, which equals 24 hours., AM or a.m. means
the first trip around
the clock. PM or p.m.
means the second
trip around the clock., So "9 AM" or "2 p.m." is a time on the clock and can answer a WHEN question., Days, More
8. Soundboard: The exact time that the sun
comes up or goes down is a
little different every day, or
depending on where you live.
So we use the general word
daytime to mean the part of
the day that is light outside., In the same way, we use
the general word nighttime
to mean the part of that 24
hour day when it is dark
outside, when the moon and
stars can be seen., Most people are awake in
the daytime, and asleep in
the nighttime. These words
also answer WHEN?, More
9. Soundboard: Noon is when the sun is at the
very highest point in the sky
for that day. Many people eat
lunch around noon., Morning is the time between when
the sun comes up and noon, when
it gets to the top. We usually wake
up, get dressed, and eat breakfast
in the morning., Afternoon is the time between
noon and dinner time. It is when
the sun is just starting to go down,
but it is still light
outside. We go
school in the
afternoon., Evening is the time after dinner
when it slowly starts to get
darker as the sun goes down
more and more.
When the sun is
gone, it is called
10. Video: Video:
Day and Night, (5:47)
11. Soundboard: However, 12:00 at night
has a different name. We
call it midnight. Remember
the story of Cinderella?, More, "Noon" on a clock and
noon for the sun are not
always exactly the same.
On a clock, noon means
12:00 in the daytime., All these words can answer
a WHEN question.
12. Questions: There are also special days on our calendar when we celebrate different things. These are called holidays. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa are all holidays, along with several others. Holidays also can answer a WHEN question.
13. Questions: Find the Key Words, 1. This afternoon I have a soccer game., 3. Let's go to a movie tonight., 4. Dad doesn't get home until dinner time., 2. We go trick or treating every Halloween.
14. Soundboard: Menu, Next
15. Soundboard: Most people in the United
States work or go to school
Monday through Friday.
We call those weekdays,
work days, or school days., Time does not end because the day is finished. Days repeat over and over again, every time the sun and the moon come up and go down. That is when we need a calendar to help us. It helps us count and name the days. There are 7 names for days., Most of us do not work or go to
school on Saturday or Sunday.
We call those the weekend., More, Weeks, Those 7 days make a week., -
16. Soundboard: The names of days and words like weekday or weekend are all words that can answer WHEN questions., When is
our math test?, The test is
on Friday., When can
we go to
the movies?, We can go
this weekend., More
17. Soundboard: Seven days make a week. When
the week is over, we start a new
week and go through all 7 days
again., There are about
four weeks in a
shows a whole
month on a page., There are 12
months in a year,
so this calendar
has 12 pages., There are different
ways to set up a
calendar, so they
won't all look like
this one. Most of
them will cover a
whole year., More
18. Video: Video:
7 Days of the Week
19. Questions: Find the Key Words, 1. Saturday is the school festival., 2. Mari is moving next week., 3. His surprise party is this weekend., 4. We have tacos every Tuesday.
20. Soundboard: Menu, Next
21. Soundboard: Months, 30, 30, 30, 30, 28/29, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, We even have names for each of the 12 months!
Those names can answer a WHEN question., More
22. Questions: Every 4 years, Our calendar is based on the movements of the planets in the solar system. It is not exactly right. It is off a tiny little bit each day. After 4 years, we are off by a whole day and we need to add an extra day to help our calendar "catch up" and be correct again.
23. Video: Video:
30 Days Have September...
24. Questions: Find the Key Words, 1. Santa comes in December., 2. We are off from school in July., 4. She was born on Leap Day., 3. Each year begins in January.
25. Soundboard: Menu, Next
26. Soundboard: Years, When we have gone through all 12
months, the year is finished and we
begin a whole new year, starting with
January 1st again. We do not give
years a name. We give them a number
instead. That number can also answer
a WHEN question., When will you
high school?, I will graduate
in 2021., More
27. Soundboard: More
28. Video: Video:
The 4 Seasons
29. Questions: Find the Key Words, 1. He was born in 1994., 2. We're moving in the new year., 3. Last summer went too quickly., 4. I went to that school five years ago.
30. Soundboard: Menu, Next
31. Soundboard: Describing Words, More, There are other words that answer WHEN questions. They are describing words that tell us when something happened or will happen, how often, or for how long. Look for these key words ...
32. Soundboard: last
33. Soundboard: before
finally, sequence, More
34. Soundboard: earlier
(in the past), later
(in the future), N W, N W, Oh, boy! When
can we get the
new dog?, Soon., When is
35. Soundboard: How often?, More
36. Questions: 1. I must do my chores before playing soccer., 2. In the end, the character learns a lesson., 3. We will paint the kitchen next., Find the Key Words!
37. Questions: 4. She is coming later this week., 5. I have math class first., 6. Sometimes he makes me so mad!, 7. We have a big test tomorrow.
38. Questions: 8. The bus should be coming soon., 9. He crossed the finish line last., 10. Yesterday we went to the park.
39. Soundboard: Menu, Next
40. Questions: Vocabulary, Game
41. Soundboard: Menu, Next
42. Questions: Below are WHEN questions, along with an answer. You must decide if the answer tells a time and answers the question. Tap Yes if it does, No if it does not., Does it Answer When?, 1. Q: When do we have math?
A: After lunch., 2. Q: When is that show on TV?
A: Under the sofa., 3. Q: When does the game start?
A: Six o'clock, so don't be late!
43. Questions: 4. Q: When is Thanksgiving?
A: In November., 5. Q: When does Spring start?
A: Because it's too cold., 6. Q: When is her birthday party?
A: No., 7. Q: When is the spelling test?
A: 20 words.
44. Questions: 8. Q: When did she call you?
A: Last week., 9. Q: When do you do your homework?
A: Before dinner., 10. Q: When do you want lunch?
A: At the park.
45. Soundboard: Menu, Next
46. Puzzle: Find That Question!, Someone mixed up our questions and answers! You must find which answer goes with which question. Tap on each answer to hear it read to you, and move it to the right question., When do
we sleep?, At night.
47. Puzzle: When
snow?, In the
winter., When do
we sleep?, At night.
48. Puzzle: When
Monday., When do
we eat?, Dinner
49. Puzzle: When
does the sun
come up?, In the
50. Puzzle: When is
it okay to
cheat?, Never., When do
you want to
51. Soundboard: Menu, Next
52. Questions: Name That Question!, Below are answers. You must decide what When question might have been asked to get that answer. Your listening buddy will score your response by tapping on Yes or No. Any WHEN question that makes sense with the answer could be correct!, After
Monday., In the
morning., 1 2
53. Questions: 3 4, 5 6, In the
54. Questions: 7 8, 9 10, In the
daytime., Soon., Next
55. Soundboard: Menu, Next
56. Questions: If you would like a text doc version of these activities, they are available in my TpT store, MzWeb's World, individually or in a bundle to save you money! www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Mzwebs-World
Don't forget my other WH question modules available in the TinyTap marketplace...
57. Questions: Exit, Extension Activities, Many students struggle to answer WHEN questions because they lack the basic knowledge of time concepts. The introductory lessons in this module should give you a feel for the students who need more work on those concepts. Here are a few ideas to get you started ..., 1. Refer to the calendar
at the beginning and
ending of every session.
Talk about what day it is,
what was yesterday,
what is tomorrow, when
they saw you last time,
when they'll see you
next time., 2. To promote carry-
over to the classroom,
have them look for
key words in
science projects., 3. Using texts or
stories from their
classes, have them
find the key words
and tell when a
(part of setting),
the sequence of