1. ESL Phonics 33, The three sounds of the suffix -ed
2. What is a suffix?
It's at the end of a word and it changes the meaning of a word.
3. Here are some suffixes.
-ing -ed -es
4. The suffix -ed means something already happened. It is in the past.
5. Which of these verbs talk about something that already happened?
walk walks walked
6. The sounds of -ed
7. When -ed makes the /t/ sound.
After an unvoiced letter except for t.
p s k sh ch th
8. Words with the /t/ sound for -ed:, walked
10. He backed into the table., I packed a lot for the trip., I camped in the tent., She helped her friend with math., He locked the door to be safe.
13. -ed makes the /d/ sound for words that end in voiced consonants that are not d, g l b m r
14. Words where the -ed makes the /d/ sound, filmed
17. When -ed makes a /ed/ sound, t d
18. Examples is the /ed/ sound, acted
21. He acted in the play., I handed him my backpack., She planted a shrub in the yard., They lifted the big dog., I sat down and rested.
25. A boy kicked my toy car. The car banged on the wall and dented. It landed on the floor. I gasped and started to cry. The boy acted very sad. He said, "I didn't mean to kick the car. I am sorry." He picked up the dented car and handed it to me. I knew it was an accident, so I said, "that's ok".
27. Who kicked the toy car?
a boy a girl the teacher
28. What did I start to do?
kick cry yell
29. Where did the car bang?
the wall the door the desk
30. What did the boy say?
get over it I'm sorry
31. Good job!